If you're aged 65 and over & struggling to pay for essentials such as food, heating & water the Household Support Fund can provide short-term financial support. For help to apply contact our Info & Advice team - you could be entitled to up to £500.

The Department of Work and Pensions have made additional funding available for low income households in Kingston who meet the criteria and who are struggling to afford food, fuel, utilities bills and other essentials. 

With inflation at a 40 year high and predictions of worse to come, we're encouraging anyone aged 65 and over to check whether they can apply. Act now as the funding is only available until the end of September 2022.

Local Authorities have discretion on exactly how this funding is used and the expectation is that it should primarily be used to support households in the most need, particularly those including pensioners who would otherwise struggle with energy bills, food and water bills. 

Energy bills may be of particular concern to low income households during the period of the scheme and the Council will especially consider supporting households with the cost of energy. The fund can also be used to support households with essential costs related to those items and with wider essential costs. In exceptional cases of genuine emergency it can additionally be used to support housing costs where existing housing support schemes do not meet this exceptional need.

Where needed, support with food, utility bills and other  pressures will be provided through a voucher or small grant scheme.

If you believe you may be eligible, you can apply online using the link below or a professional can do this on your behalf. 

Household Support Fund Form

To be eligible to access support you will need to be a resident of the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames (or if homeless or with no recourse to public funds, have appropriate links to the borough) and one or more of the following eligibility criteria must apply:

  • You have insufficient funds to access nutritional meals
  • You have insufficient funds to be able to keep your home warm, electricity or gas on and access to water for cooking
  • You have insufficient funds to be able to afford essentials such as food, toiletries (sanitary products, soap etc), clothing, blankets, boiler service/repair, access to equipment including fridges and ovens.
  • A household has an urgent housing need which can not be funded by an existing scheme e.g. housing benefit etc
  • The household have a vulnerability or community care need

Individuals may be receiving other forms of support, including Universal Credit. If families are receiving support through other food or utility schemes this should be taken into account, and you should avoid duplicating existing support.  However, families in receipt of other schemes are not excluded from receiving the grant. For example, a family may:  

  • have additional wider needs in terms of food and utilities 
  • require other essential supplies  
  • include individual family members that are not in receipt of support 

Don't miss out - contact us.